Summer Reading Program
Summer Fun for Everyone - June 1 through July 27
Whether you are a kid, teen, or adult, you can participate in a reading program for your age group. Why should you participate? In addition to the pleasure you receive from reading a good book, you may also earn prizes!
Calendars of special events and information on how to participate in any of the reading programs will be available June 1 at all library locations.
For more information about the children’s and teen reading programs, please call 972-205-2516. For information about the adult reading program, call 972-205-2502.
Kid's and Teen Summer Reading Program
Baby: 0-3 years
Kid: 4-11 years
Teen: 12-17 years
This year’s Summer Reading Program for children and teens is called A Universe of Stories. Kids and and teens, ages 0 through 17, are encouraged to participate. Starting June 1, participants may pick up the first of four activity cards at any Garland library. After seven days, participants can exchange their cards for an age-appropriate prize and additional activity card. The last day to get an activity card is July 20 and the final day to collect prizes is July 27.
- Turn in your activity card at any Garland Library!
- Babies complete any 3 squares.
- Kids and teens complete any 5 squares.
- Return completed card on or after the date stamped on your card for a prize and a new card.
- Last day to sign up is 7/20/2019.
- Last day to turn in activity cards is 7/27/2019.
- Prizes are while supplies last.
- ¡Puede entregar la carta en cualquier biblioteca pública de Garland!
- Bebes completan cualquier 3 cuadros y ninos y jovenes cualquier 5.
- Regrese la carta completa en la fecha estampada de abajo o despues para un premio y una nueva tarjeta.
- Último día para registrarse es el 20 de julio, 2019.
- Último día para entregar la carta es el 27 de julio, 2019.
- Premios disponibles mientras duren.
Children's Summer Reading Prizes!
Babies and toddlers 0-3 years old:
Prize #1 - rubber duck
Prize #2 - bubbles
Prize #3 - a free book
Prize #4 - plush rocket
Grand prize: Xylophone and board books
Children ages 4-11 years old:
Prize #1 - galaxy slime and coupons
Prize #2 - light up balls
Prize #3 - a free book
Prize #4 - drawstring bag
Grand prize: Dallas Zoo Membership
Teens ages 12-17 years old:
Prize #1 - button and coupons
Prize #2 - charger
Prize #3 - cinch grip
Prize #4 - sports bag
Grand prize: Perot Museum Membership
Bonus card #1: bouncy balls
Bonus card #2: erasers
Winners for Grand Prize Drawings will be chosen at the Summer Wrap-Up Party on Monday, July 29, 2:30 pm at the Central Library.
Winners do not need to be present to win.
Children's Summer Reading Program events and performers
Some locations have limited seating on a first-come, first-served basis with priority given to children. Due to planned construction, event locations are subject to change. Please be aware that photographs and video may be taken at Library programs for use in print and/or electronic media at the Library’s discretion.
Block Party at the Library
Children can develop their engineering skills, an important STEAM concept, by attending Block Party at the Library, a program from the Nicholson Memorial Library System for children ages 4 through 12. Block Party at the Library is designed to help children test their building skills and stretch their imaginations while having fun. The program challenges participants to use building blocks to create unique structures within one hour.
3 p.m., Tuesday, July 23
Block Party at the Library is a free event. Children ages 6 and under must be accompanied by an adult in order to attend. The Library provides all supplies used at this event.
Rochelle Rabouin: Mae Among the Stars
Learn about Mae Carol Jemison, the first African American woman to travel in space. Rochelle Rabouin is a vocalist, musician, and Master Teaching Artist who integrates multiple art forms into her presentations.
2:30 p.m., Wednesday, July 24
South Garland Branch Library
Assist magician James Wand on a mission of magic and mystery. Help him solve clues, crack codes, and perform magic on this top secret adventure.
2:30 p.m., Thursday, July 25
Walnut Creek Branch Library
2:30 p.m., Friday, July 26
2:30 p.m., Saturday, July 27
North Garland Branch Library
Family Block Party
Practice your engineering skills and make original Lego® creations as a family by attending Block Party at the Library. Block Party at the Library is designed to help attendees develop their STEAM engineering skills in a family-friendly environment. The program challenges participants to use building blocks to create unique structures within one hour.
2:30 p.m., Friday, July 26
Walnut Creek Branch Library
Block Party at the Library is a free event open to families. Children ages 6 and under must be accompanied by an adult in order to attend. The Library provides all supplies used at this event.
Summer Reading Wrap-up Party
Participants in the Nicholson Memorial Library System’s Summer Reading Program can celebrate their accomplishments by attending the Summer Reading Wrap-Up Party. The beloved children’s book character Biscuit the Dog, created by Alyssa Capucilli, will be on hand to meet party-goers and take photos. Attendees may also make Biscuit-themed crafts. Refreshments will be available while supplies last.
2:30 p.m., Monday, July 29
The grand prize drawings for each Summer Reading Program age group, babies, kids, and teens, will be conducted at the party as well. If present, winners may receive their prizes at this time, though attendance is not required to win.
Adult Summer Reading Program
Adults can join in the summer reading fun with an adult version of A Universe of Stories. Participation is simple. Beginning June 1, adults ages 18 and older may pick up an activity card at any Garland library and start completing reading challenges and other activities. Participants will receive a small prize and be entered into a drawing for prizes for each activity card they complete. A total of four cards can be completed. The final day to turn in activity cards is July 27. Adults will also have the opportunity to enjoy special events, craft programs, and movies.
- Individuals 18 and older are eligible to participate in the Summer Reading Program for prize drawings. Registration is required.
- Each activity card will be available for 2 weeks. Patrons can submit a maximum of one activity card for each two-week period. Participants can return their completed cards anytime within that two-week period: June 1 to 15, June 15 to 29, June 29 to July 13, and July 13 to 27.
- The last day to turn in a card is July 27.
- Participants must complete any 5 activities on a card for it to be entered in the prize drawings. Participants can choose to complete a card by reading books, completing community activities, or a combination.
- Some special events are family-friendly and patrons under 18 years of age may attend but are ineligible for prize drawings. See event fliers or the Library’s website for details regarding age restrictions.
- Every 2 weeks, at the conclusion of each activity card period, a drawing will be held for a prize. Winners of these drawings are still eligible for the grand prize and branch prizes. All drawings will be held at the Central Library at 11 a.m. Drawing dates: June 19, July 3, July 17, and July 31.
- At the end of the program, a drawing will be held for a system-wide grand prize and branch prizes. Each branch prize drawing will be taken from the activity cards returned at that branch. The grand prize drawing will be taken from all activity cards system-wide. The branch prize drawings will be held first. Winners of a branch prize will be ineligible for the grand prize.
- The drawing for the grand prize and branch prizes will be held Aug. 22.
- Prize winners do not need to be present to win. They will be notified by phone or email. Winners have 2 weeks to claim their prize or another winner will be drawn.
- NMLS staff and their immediate family members are not eligible to win prizes.
Adult Summer Reading Prizes!
Card #1 - Button or Keychain (available for cards turned in on or before June 15)
Prize drawing #1 - Garland Summer Musicals 2 tickets to the 2019 season Drawing Date: June 19
Card #2 - Rocket Pen (available for cards turned in June 15 to 29)
Prize drawing #2 - Pinot’s Palette 2 gift cards and 2 paintings Drawing Date: July 3
Card #3 - Notebook (available for cards turned in June 29 to July 13)
Prize drawing #3 - Garland Symphony 4 vouchers for the 19-20 season Drawing Date: July 17
Two tickets to the Dallas Arboretum and two Season Passes to the State Fair of Texas
$25 Amazon Gift cards - 1 drawn from the cards returned at each library
Winners for the Grand Prize Drawings will be chosen on August 22. Winners do not need to be present to win.